<$BlogRSDUrl$>
-- Return To Main --

Friday, October 10, 2003

The Blessed Silence 

I haven't seen much in the way of reporting on this issue, but I wonder if anyone other than me has noted the wonderful amount of quietude recently exhibited by their telephones. I say: thank you, FCC. (And I never once imagined I would ever say such a thing). Until further notice, I'm considering the do-not-call registry a massive success. Exactly the kind of thing that makes me feel a little better about paying my taxes.

Not that there haven't been some neccesary adjustments in my thinking. The other day, my wife and I were just leaving the house when the phone started to ring. For the last several years, I suddenly came to realize, I would blow off that call without thinking and continue on my way. This time, however, it struck me that, since the annoying marketers have been sidelined, the person on the other end of the line was, most likely, someone I actually wanted to talk to. Next thing I know, I'll actually be running out of the shower to answer the phone. I might have to bump up the number of rings before the machine picks up.

Now, if I could just get my email account back...



Comments:

Post a Comment
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?